Friday 27 March 2009

The journey to Africa (13.3.-16.3.2009)

When I decided to travel to Africa, I didn't expect it to be easy. I just thought that at least there would be no trouble on the way there. It turned out that my patience was going to be tested a little bit earlier than I thought...

Friday's task: Fly to Stockholm.
Trouble: Too heavy baggage.
Solution: repack some of my belongings to my aunt's bags in Sweden.

Saturday's task: Be full of energy and go aroung the city with your aunt.
Trouble: I had fever.
Solution: never mind the fever.

Sunday's task no. 1: fly to Munich and spend there 8 hours waiting for the connecting flight to Cape Town.
Trouble: I still felt sick, I had slept only 45 minutes last night and I got the most terrible stomach gramps.
Solution: find a cozy bench in a non-crowded place in the airport and go to sleep. When you wake up after a couple of hours, and you realize that you are definitely not alone anymore, you can't do anything else except wish that you haven't snored, drooled, whined or farted while sleeping. (Why are these people staring at me?)

Sunday's task no. 2: Get yourself on the Munich - Cape Town flight.
Trouble: A huge airport. Where do I go? (Well, I managed.)
Trouble: I didn't have a return ticket from Cape-Town and I was almost prohibited from flying to South Africa because of that.
Solution: explain your situation.
Trouble: The official at the Stockholm Airport had made a mistake concerning my baggage and because of that the offocials in Munich ran after me two minutes after they had first finally let me check in. My baggage had to be re-checked in.
Trouble: The security control official noticed that I have a swiss army knife in my hand luggage. I really didn't put it there on purpose!
Solution: explain, explain, explain, and you'll finally get to keep the knife.

Monday's task: Get yourself through the passport control in Cape-Town.
Trouble: No return tickets to Finland.
Solution: Prove that you'll leave the country within three weeks and tell that you have a friend and an aunt in South Africa. Don't bother to mention that "the aunt in SA just arrived 6 hours ago. Tell where you'll be staying while your stay.

The last flight from Cape-Town to Port Elizabeth went without trouble.

Yippee! I made it to Africa!

No comments:

Post a Comment