Sunday 14 June 2009

Was it a dream?

I decided to tell you about my thoughts now that I've been back at home for one week. It still feels a bit unreal to be in Finland, but at the same time the whole safari (safari means journey in Kiswahili) to Africa feels dreamlike. Did I really do all that? And also: was it a dream come true?

It might be that I'm writing this too early, because I seem not to know what to write. Nothing is clear in my mind, I don't know what to think. The only thing I'm sure of, is that I am happy to be in Finland, at home, where everything is simpler, safer, more reliable, understandable to me and most importantly, where all the people who really matter to me, are.

I have been one of those people, who never want to go back home. The grass has always been greener on the other side of the fence. But now, three months in Africa finally did it to me: even I started to miss home. During my last weekend in Africa, which I spent in Mombasa, I actually thought that I'd rather be at home!

It is unbelievable that the tap water is running every time I want to take a shower, not to mention that I don't need to drink bottled water. I really appreciate the fact that when I go to the toilet anywhere, it will be one with a seat, there will be a toilet roll, and the toilet will flush. (Africans would call it a mzungu-toilet.) No more holes on the floor! And no more matatu rides! Don't get me wrong, every morning was an adventure thanks to the matatus, but I can't help loving Finnish public transportation after all that trouble getting to places in Africa.

The thing that I love most about being in Finland, is that I am invisible again. No-one pays any attention to me when I'm walking on the streets, no-one shouts anything after me, no-one runs after me, no-one thinks that I am rich and no one tries to charge 10 times more from me because I am white and when someone wants to be my friend, it is not because of "my money".

On the other hand, no-one asks about my "news" when I sit next to a person on a bus, the sun shine is not guaranteed and the children don't want to hold my hand anymore. There are so many things that made the time in Africa incredible, unforgettable and definitely worth it. Time will tell, whether I want to go back there ever again, and for how long time.

For the time being, I have no further comments to make. I hope I have succeeded in writing stories that are interesting to read. It has been a pleasure to write these stories. Thank you for following!

The end. But might be continued - some day.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this wonderful blog! Now we don't have to bother you with stupid questions such as "well, how was it in Africa?" -Jenni

    ReplyDelete