Monday 13 April 2009

My first moments in Tanzania

I landed in Tanzania (Kilimanjaro airport) on Sturday (4th of April) afternoon. It was +32 degrees and the air felt very humid, but it wasn't bad though: it almost felt like Africa was giving me a warm hug to welcome me. People from the organization Art in Tanzania were there to collect me and three other people. We were taken to Moshi, which is about 45 minute drive from the airport. This was when for the forts time I felt that I am Africa - in the land which I've been dreaming about. The scenery was just like in the movies and documentaries about Africa. On top of that it was so exiting to see many little tornados going wild and forming sandy statues in between the bushes.

Finally we arrived to the volunteer house: a white hostel like two-floor house with 6 rooms, where people sleep in bunk beds. There are western style toilets and showers, but only cold water. On the second floor there is a big (and I mean big) balcony where we can chill out. The best thing about staying in this house is Kilimanjaro. The picture below is taken right outside our gate, and the view is the same from our balcony.


The other volunteers are from England are approximately 20 years old (+/- 3 years), meaning that I am an old mama here, and sometimes a bit outside their conversations but it really doesn't matter at all, because they are all so sweet anyway (if you don't count the moments when a couple of them throws a childish tantrum over nothing).

We have very sweet maids here, who prepare breakfast and dinner for us, and wash our clothes if we pay a bit extra for them. On the picture below you can see one of them carrying water to our drinking water tank to be filtered.


We have guards standing by our gates (or sleeping in the back yard...) 24 hours a day to keep us safe here. I also found out that the three dogs that live with us here are street dogs, which didn't make me too happy as I am not the biggest dog fan. (Already during the first night I heard the terrible noice of a dog fight - at firts I thought that there was an angry lion outside!)

That's about all I have to tell about the first moments. I feel happy and comfortable here, and will tell you more soonish. But you have to be patient. As Tanzanians say: pole pole (take your time...) :)

1 comment:

  1. Nice to hear, that you finally arrived to Moshi. That view over Kilimanjaro looks amazing.

    Susanna, now you just have to remember everything that I have taught you how to deal with cold water and dogs ;)
    You can think it this way: the dogs will wake up you and the (sleeping) guards if someone unwelcome is coming.

    Take care :)

    ReplyDelete